Hoke Family

Hoke Family

Friday, March 06, 2009

"Spritz" the Tree frog

What a week!

Ryan had ISTEP testing all week, and was exhausted.

Brandon had strep throat, and recovered.

Mike met himself coming & going with work & Cub Scouts.

Jenni had a meeting every day of the week.

"Spritz" the tree frog, however, had a much worse week. You see, Spritz led a very boring life. Get up, take a dip in the water, eat some fruit flies, sleep, repeat. Spritz was looking a little thin at the beginning of the week. Spritz wasn't moving around a lot. Spritz was only 1/2 inch long... he never grew!

On Thursday afternoon, while straightening up Brandon's room, I noticed that Spritz was even thinner than usual, and looked like he was a little shriveled. Spritz had passed.

At 4pm I picked up Brandon from his after-school "cooking club" and broke the news. Brandon was upset for about 2 seconds, then said, "Y'know mom, maybe we could sell Spritz's skeleton to the Children's Museum... I bet they'd want it!" That caught me off guard! It was a little alarming to me that my little darling was out to make a buck off of a recently deceased tree frog! There's my little entrepreneur.

At 4:30pm we picked up Ryan from is Math Bowl practice, and I broke the news. He burst out into tears. (Quite the opposite reaction I got from Brandon!) We got home, and Ryan had to check it out... well, both of the boys did. Ryan came down & alerted me that Spritz was still breathing. Sure enough, he was. I felt like a moron for announcing that he was dead.

About an hour later, Ryan came back downstairs to me, crying. He announced that Spritz was dead again. Okay, so I go up to check. Nope, he was indeed breathing again. What??!

So, we left Spritz alone. Honestly, I was afraid to look to see whether he was dead or alive. I was starting to doubt my ability to tell!

As of Friday afternoon, our beloved Spritz had passed. And yes, this time I was sure of it.

A burial was done in the front bushes.

We have, as a family, decided that while raising tadpoles, froglets, and frogs was fun; however, we probably won't do it again.

Let's hope that this next week is a little less eventful!


1 comment:

Shauna said...

Awesome. it made me laugh out loud. That probably says something about me...

Ramblings from a Midwest Mom