Hoke Family

Hoke Family

Monday, February 13, 2012

Jenni's "Wicked Good" Clam Chowdah... and yes folks, it has BACON!

In college, I babysat for a family for several years.  The woman had so many wonderful cookbooks, and when the kids would nap, I would look through them & drool.  So instead of drooling each week, I started taking index cards with me & got some of these great recipes down on paper!

Over the years, I've tweaked this "chowdah" recipe until it suited our family.

After posting that I was making this for dinner the other night, I had several people ask for the recipe.  So, I decided to make this my first "food blog"... complete with pictures.  And after taking pictures, I realized that my kitchen has really crappy lighting!!  ;)

Recipe:
4 cans of minced clams (you can also use chopped clams if you want bigger pieces of clam)
6 strips of bacon, chopped (I use kitchen shears to cut it up)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups clam liquor (liquid drained from clams) + 1-2 cups water
2 cups diced potatoes
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups half & half
*Instant potatoes

Here's what to do:

1.  Drain clams & save liquor (again, the liquid in the can -- the word "liquor" kinda throws me).

This is from 4 cans, drained.  It didn't quite equal 2 cups... so add water to it to make 2 cups + an additional cup of water.
2.  In a stockpot, fry bacon until lightly brown.

3.  Add onion & saute until tender.

As if bacon alone doesn't smell the best... but bacon AND onions frying?  Heaven!
4.  You can drain some of the bacon grease, but I would leave some... just for extra flavor.  No, this isn't the most heart-healthy recipe, but man... does it taste good!!!

5.  Add clam "liquor" & water, potatoes, seasonings & clams.

This is actually more than 2 cups of potatoes - but who wants to waste diced potatoes??
Not this girl!

If you ever learn anything about me, it's that I really don't like to measure things.
This is my version of a teaspoon of salt!
(This probably explains why my baking isn't quite as successful...ha!)


6.  Cook for about 15 minutes at a low boil, or until potatoes are tender.



7.  Add milk and half & half.

8.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes.

*You may want to add some instant potatoes to thicken the soup, if you prefer more of a "chunky" style.  


*You can also fry up some extra bacon & crumble on top of your bowl of soup, because really, is there ever a case where there's too much bacon??!


*Obviously, season your "chowdah" to your liking.  Also, you can always add more water or milk to stretch it out to serve more.

Serve with crusty bread & enjoy!

1 comment:

SewFunky! said...

sounds good!

Ramblings from a Midwest Mom