motivation?
I think I've misplaced my motivation for running this year. I just can't seem to stick with my training like I did last year. I had more time to do it last year, that's for sure. It's hard carving the time out for it, and somedays, I'd rather fold clothes (which I HATE) than get on the treadmill. The weather has been nicer, and yes I could go outside & run. My allergies however, have other ideas. You see for me, allergies & running outside equal snot-city and watery eyes to the point where it looks like I'm crying. So, I do the majority of my training on a treadmill. Yes, it's boring, but it gets the job done... and the treadmill MAKES me run even when I don't feel like it. So on race day, I'll be the one with the kleenexes hanging out of my sleeves/shorts & also the one who looks like she's crying because of the tears streaming down my face. I'm not gonna lie. It's a good look.
Honestly, while I love the Indy half-marathon, I think it's gotten too big for me. 35,000+ people all running for the same target? One, it equals bottle necks. Last year, we even ran into bottle necks at mile 10. And let's be honest, mile 10 is where you hit the wall. Mile 10 is where I start cranking up the AC/DC, Metallica and any other angry running song to keep me putting one foot in front of the other! So what happened? I had to slow down to a walk for most of that mile... not good. Two, while I'm not claustrophobic, I get a touch of it on that day. I don't like that many people around me for 13.1 miles! Oh well. I'll do it, but I'm not expecting to hit any personal records this year.
Now, for the griping that I'm doing right now, as I'm actually caught up in the race, weirdly enough, it's fun. I know, it sounds sick & twisted... how can 13.1 miles be fun?? I don't know, but it is. You see all kinds of entertaining people during this time. I saw a nun, a fireman in full gear, Superman, a banana (person in costume, not the real thing), 3 people puking, men peeing in random people's yards because they don't want to stop at the port-a-potties like the rest of us... and the list goes on. There are bands placed at just about every mile, and while I have my earbuds in listening to my own music, I appreciate them being there. I also appreciate the random strangers along the sidewalks cheering you on. I also appreciate that even amongst 35,000+ people, I see people I know. Family, my kids' teachers, neighbors... small world!
Something that always makes me laugh (after the fact, of course) during this race is the Indy 500 Queen & her court. They camp at mile 12 and hand out water. They're all perky and perfectly put together (when everyone else is hot, sweaty and looking disheveled) saying things like "you can do it!" and "you're almost there!"... okay yes, I can do it, and while it seems like you're almost there, you're not. That last 1.1 mile lasts for what feels like DAYS (to me, anyway). All I really want to do at that point is tell them to shove it and knock the perfectly placed crowns off of their heads! Okay, not really. Well, maybe just a little...
So, long story short, I need to get my butt in gear. Carve out the time. Pray for good weather. Enjoy the time along the course with my husband. Pray that if I'm in the fetal position somewhere on the course, that someone will kindly drag me across the finish line. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ramblings from a Midwest Mom
3 comments:
Yeah. I need to get my butt in gear too... You should ditch the masses and come do the Leavenworth half during Oktoberfest with me instead. Its absolutely beautiful.. and there's a beer garden awaiting you at the end. You can't beat it.
That sounds like SO MUCH FUN! Then, I think we should all do the P.F. Changs Rock 'n Roll half in Phoenix in January -- kill 2 birds w/one stone. ;)
Beer garden awaiting is BRILLIANT! For the USAF half, they had beer and pizza -- it was awesome! It takes so little to get me to the finish line...
I hear you about motivation. Though I don't run with a race in mind (they are all over by the time we roll into town). Well, I am contemplating one in Hangzhou this fall. . .
Go attack Mr. Treadmill! ;-)
Post a Comment