Hoke Family

Hoke Family

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Scouts, Spring and Stuff

Last week was big for us scout-wise.  Brandon finished up as a Wolf scout, and is now a Webelos scout!  He's been working really hard, and has SO much fun with scouts.  Several of his buddies are in it, and he just has a great time... but that may have something to do with the fact that his daddy is his den leader!  We're so proud of him!


Brandon & his friend, Christian












Brandon receiving his Webelos badge - that's Mike to the right of him.



Spring is "springing" outside.  The grass is starting to get green again, we've had rain showers, and my flowers are on the cusp of blooming.  I LIVE for my hyacinths to come up each year.  They smell soooo good!  As I'm looking at these pictures though, I'm realizing that I have some considerable landscaping work to do.  Helloooo mulch!


I know nothing about duck habitats, but I have come to the conclusion that we must have a duck nest somewhere near our house.  Each morning as the kids go to the bus stop, we either see a mallard or a female duck in the vicinity of our front yard.  The mallard prefers hanging out in our cul-de-sac, while the female duck hangs out in our front yard.  The pond in our neighborhood is around the corner & across the street.  Maybe they just like our yard?  Who knows.  All I know is that Brandon was convinced the female duck kept saying "Aflac".



Last night, we had our first big "storm" of spring.  The sky turned black & we had hail, along with gusting winds & rain.  Brandon, being terrified of storms, boogied straight for the basement.  In fact, we all just moved the party downstairs.  I made popcorn and the boys & I watched "Survivor" while the weather decided to be a little scary.  As it turned out, the cell that moved over our house had tornadic (is that a word?  I'm going to pretend it is.) activity just a little bit east of us.  Yikes!  While this freaked Brandon out, Ryan pointed out that we did indeed, make it through tornado weather.  ;)

Today is Thursday.  Monday-Wednesday, my kids wore shorts to school.  After our big "storm" last night, a cold front moved in.  This morning, they had jeans, long-sleeved shirts, hats & gloves on.  And they're talking snow for the weekend.  Welcome to the bi-polar weather state, otherwise known as Indiana.  Where else can it be sunny & warm one day and cold & snowy the next?  ;)

No comments:

Ramblings from a Midwest Mom