Hoke Family

Hoke Family

Sunday, March 06, 2011

I'm thankful for...

Doctors.  Medical testing.  Mother's intuition.  Everything.

I know I've babbled incessantly the past few days about my kids being ill.  Sorry, they're my life.  It's my job to take care of them!

Yesterday was a breaking point for us with Ryan.  His fever went down, only to go back up again.  Then to add insult to injury, he developed a yucky, rattling cough -- that was causing him pain.  Uh oh.

Mike was due to get home from work at 6pm.  We planned on doing the kid hand-off... I take Ry, he watches Brandon.  So, off we went to MedCheck.  MedCheck was closed.  Okay, off to St. V. Urgent Care.  Closed.  Hmmm.  Apparently these places don't think people get sick after 5pm on weekends??


IFWT_Emergency.jpg


So, off to the ER we went.  I was envisioning standing-room only, screaming children, bleeding adults, coughing, blah blah blah.  We walked in, and it was a ghost town.  Are we in the right place?  So, I registered Ryan, and we waited all of 5 minutes before we were called back.  He was assessed and we waited in a room.  Within minutes, a nurse came in, took his vitals, and we were told what would happen.  A chest X-ray was in order to see if he had pneumonia.  Advil would be administered to try and bring his fever down.  So, we waited for the X-ray tech, and again, it was all of 5 minutes.  Chest x-ray done, and we wait.  The doctor came in, said they saw pneumonia in both lungs (yikes), and a prescription for a Z-pack was being written up.  Follow up with the Pediatrician on Monday, and off we went!

I would have to say, this was the best (in a matter of speaking) ER visit in history.  No screaming children.  No long wait.  No fuss.  Easy peasy.  But the best part was actually finding out WHY my baby wasn't feeling well, and having doctors that work hard to FIND those reasons.  I'm so thankful for them!!

And as an added bonus, the meds are working!!  Ry's fever is UNDER 100 this morning, his appetite is back, and he's fighting with his brother.  While the latter of these things make me crazy nonetheless, it's good to have him back.  :)

As corny as it may sound, all I can think of is the "Thankfulness song" from Veggie Tales.  The lyrics are:

"I thank God for this day, 
For the sun in the sky, 
For my mom and my dad, 
For my piece of apple pie!

For our home on the ground, 
For His love that's all around,
That's why I say thanks every day! 

Because a thankful heart is a happy heart! 
I'm glad for what I have, 
Thats an easy way to start!

For the love that He shares, 
'Cause He listens to my prayers,
That's why I say thanks every day! "


That's why I say "thanks" every day.

No comments:

Ramblings from a Midwest Mom