Hoke Family

Hoke Family

Saturday, March 05, 2011

What would I do without...

Fill in the blank.

Most days, I can fill this blank with "my friends, my family, coffee, Twizzlers, Peanut Butter M&M's...".  However, with the kids being sick the past few days, I'm going to throw in "Facebook."

Why Facebook?  I'll try to explain.

Okay so, I don't work outside of my home, other than my occasional photo shoots or my occasional substitute teaching gig.  And, I'm okay with that.  Except that some days, when you're cooped up with sick kids, or the weather is nasty, or you're not feeling well, or well, just anything... you need an outlet, right?  I don't have the proverbial "water cooler" to catch up with my co-workers.  Unless going to the fridge door, getting water & having 3 cats & a dog stare at you counts?  I don't have the pat on the back for a job well-done.  I don't get a pay raise.  Anyway, I'm not saying anything new about being a stay-at-home-parent.  It's what I do.  It's what many women/men do.  And I love that I get to do it.  Anyway, I digress.  I need an outlet.

Facebook is my outlet.  My link to the outside world.  My "water cooler", if you will.  My friends & family are a mere click away.  If I'm having a good day, I'll share.  If I'm having a bad day, I'll share.  While this may be annoying to others, too bad.  It's my sounding board.  It's my one-click away from my "golden girls".  We don't usually have time to have a long, drawn-out phone conversation; but we can comment, message, chat, and make each other laugh.  I'm talking the uncontrollable, make-you-cry, convulsing, make-you-spit-various-liquids-onto-your-laptop-screen, laughing.  It's this kind of outlet that gets me through things.  Good times, bad times, sick kids, awards, tears, joys.  This is how I look at Facebook.

Anyway, I'm thankful for friends & family who are a click away and who will build me up when I'm down.  Who will be my cheerleader when I feel like I'm going to fall over from lack of sleep or pass out from Lysol fumes.  Friends and family who care about MY family.  I just hope that I reciprocate in the same way for everyone who fills my parenting/friend/family tank.

What would I do without Facebook?  Today, I don't want to find out.

1 comment:

Wilcoxen said...

I hear you on the fb thing. I think it was my lifesaver our first year here. But still it is the way I feel connected even from the other side of the world. So, I too, am thankful for fb!

Ramblings from a Midwest Mom