Hoke Family

Hoke Family

Friday, September 16, 2011

It's amazing...

what a little sleep & a week with both kids going to school can do for a girl!

By no means am I caught up on ANYthing, but I'm getting a good start.  After the previously mentioned "month from well, you know where", I've been frantically trying to catch up on things, regain my perspective and just live.

For reasons unknown to me, I was in the mood to paint on Monday.  So, I decided to roll with it.  While I love to paint (no really, I do!), the mood doesn't always strike me - mainly because I just don't have enough time to dedicate to completing a job.  (wait, maybe it's that I just don't want to commit to finishing a job in a certain time.  Hmmm....)  So, three years ago we built this house.  And for some reason, our builder would not paint the inside of our house anything other than the standard "flat white paint".  Even after offering money under the table to the painters, the answer was still "no".  Seriously?!  The walls look so pretty with flat, white paint.  NOT.  (sorry, if any of you reading this enjoy flat, white paint, I didn't write this to offend you -- it's just not my choice of paint type or color.)

The day before our movers arrived, I painted the walls that the giant furniture (read: the furniture I never plan on moving until the day we decide to move again) would be up against.  That equaled four walls.  And those four walls were not in the same room.  I thought having a blank canvas would be so awesome.  I could pick ANY color I wanted!  However, because I'm a freak, I have to have things "just so"... and make sure each room flows into the next.  That has created a wall (no pun intended) for me to hide behind.  Because there are many rooms in this house, it sort of overwhelmed me as to how one was going to flow into the next.  I'm no interior decorator.  I'm the girl who buys countless things to "decorate" my house, and they remain sitting in my basement storage room or garage because I can't figure out where to put them!

I finally painted the downstairs bathroom this week.  Baby steps, right?  It really is amazing how a gallon of paint can change the look of a room.  What started out as a dull, boring room - (but really, are bathrooms meant to be exciting?!) has turned into a nice, classic room.  And, might I mention, one that is in the same color family as the kitchen... which is right next to it.  See, it's flowing!

Long story short (and the actual point of this post)... I'm finally getting to the place where I am doing things that I want to do.  I'm regaining control and putting things where they need to be in order for my family & house to run smoothly.  Hooray!!  It'll always be a work-in-progress, but this is the kind of work I like.  :)

Just reflecting on the week, it's really been a pretty good one!  I checked off painting a room that had been on my "to do" list for 3 years; I had brunch with a best friend (and then we did a little retail therapy!); Thing 1 & I worked on a science project together; Thing 2 started swim team; I got to spend time with my parents; took dinner to a friend who just had surgery; got to help out in Thing 2's classroom; and I get to spend today doing laundry.  Okay so the last thing isn't super enjoyable (and for any of you who know me, you KNOW I really don't enjoy laundry!)... I'm not going to complain though.  I'm just thankful for many things.  And this week is one of them.  :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad it has been a good week and a good September so far. I can't wait to see your new bathroom. I know your taste and I'm sure it is beautiful. I hope the rest of the month goes just as well! Lunch soon:)

Ramblings from a Midwest Mom