Hoke Family

Hoke Family

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Where to start?

I feel like my head is barely above water these days! I'm falling behind on my blogging... hmmm, wonder why? Let me count the reasons...

Okay let's see, where to start...

The tadpoles/froglets:

Yes, we have froglets!! Currently, we have 4. One is a full-blown tree frog. Who knew Indiana had tree frogs!? He's bright green & has those sticky fingers. He loves just hanging out on the side of the aquarium. If you look on the left side of the picture, you can see him "hanging out" on the side.

Oh, and by the way... we had to move the little froglets to a seperate aquarium because they became flight risks in the tupperware. We came to discover this when Mike moved the coffee maker one morning, only to find a baby frog hopping towards him! Nothing like a baby amphibian in the morning to get your heart going...


We've had a casualty already... I was away for one night. The boys were staying at my mom & dad's, and I was so excited to show them the baby frogs when we got home. We came to the aquarium, only to find one frog "floating" & bloated. GROSS! I was prepared to do a 'burial at sea' (aka: the swirly toilet ride), but the kids protested & said that we needed a proper burial. Okay. So, I scooped the little guy up, dug a hole near our peony bushes, we all said a few 'last words', and below the dirt he went. Let's cross our fingers that we do not have to repeat that process.

The froglets have either lost their appetite or don't like the food I have for them. They could also be making a stand & deciding they're going to be anorexic. Only I could raise frogs with an eating disorder... I've been researching online and have asked the people at Petsmart on what to feed my little darlings... the froglets now have lettuce, frog bits & dehydrated blood worms to munch on -- they're having nothing to do with ANY of it! Well, it's not for my lack of trying. And again, who really wanted these frogs in the first place?! Oh right... my kids. Who by the way, take a glance at these creatures & then go back to their video games. Ugh. I'll keep you posted on our froglet progress.


The house!
Things are moving along quickly. Our closing date is still set for the 29th of this month! Here's the latest...

July 6th:
Our cabinets & bathroom sinks were installed, spindles & handrails were installed, trim work was completed & painting was in various stages.

Our kitchen cabinets


Spindles & handrails upstairs

The boys' bathroom cabinet & sinks


July 11th:
Our driveway & sidewalk were poured!
Painting is complete.

The installation of flooring has begun! We were unable to see a lot of the downstairs due to the men installing the flooring, but upstairs, the tile in Master bathroom was down as well as the vinyl in the boys' bathroom & the laundry room.
Master Bathroom Tile


The hardwood was almost complete in the kitchen... doesn't it look beautiful? I can't wait to see the finished product!




After visiting the new house last night, we had to make a run to Target (or better known to us as "The Targ-Mahal"). It was so hot outside & Mike had a great idea. He bought some Drumstick ice cream cones for us all to eat on the way home. I believe Brandon wore more of his on his face than actually got in his mouth... And even Ryan, my meticulous eater, even had some on HIS face! Enjoy!

Our Current House:

I nearly forgot to post what all we've been doing to our current house lately. On Monday, Lowes FINALLY came to install our new flooring upstairs. That meant we had to have everything packed up & OFF of the floors. That was no small feat, but we did it! YAY!! The night before they came, I took the opportunity to paint all of the trim around the floor. I mean come on, how many opportunities do you get that if you slop some paint on the carpet, it's no big deal?! I HAD to do it!! It went much faster without having to tape anything, that's for sure.

The new flooring looks great! The day after the flooring installers left, I started painting bedrooms. I started with our master bathroom -- mainly because Mike had taken the toilet out (due to new vinyl installation), and it was a prime opportunity to actually paint behind the toilet instead of trying to paint around it! I got that done & one wall of our bedroom before realizing that I needed to move a king-sized bed and two dressers. None of which I could do on my own, and Mike was gone for the next two nights. So, I moved to Ryan's bedroom. I got it painted. I'm about 1/2 way done with Brandon's room, and I still have the toy room left -- well, and the Master bedroom also. The MBR will prove to be a challenge b/c of the vaulted ceilings. And for those of you who know me well, you know how much I HATE heights!! Either we need to rent some sort of scaffolding, or Mike Hoke will find himself becoming a painter...

Today I find myself working downstairs -- mainly because it looks like 14 tornadoes have hit. Everything that needs to still be packed from upstairs was carried downstairs, boxes that need to be labeled are downstairs, misc. laundry to be either washed or folded is downstairs, dishes to be done or put away, blah blah blah... at any rate, it's driving me CRAZY!!

Did I mention that I really dislike everything that goes along with moving? Just in case I hadn't before, now you know... ;o) I'm sorry for all of the whining and complaining... but it's all I know right now! My life consists of packing, painting, and wrangling misc. kids and/or animals. One of my friends actually had to remind me that my birthday is next week. It never even occured to me. I barely know what day it is lately!! I keep telling myself that it'll all be over soon... and it will. It's just hard to see that light at the end of the tunnel right now. ;o)

No comments:

Ramblings from a Midwest Mom